In thinking about my little blogging corner of the internet, I thought it would be good to plan a writing schedule for myself. I’m at my best when I establish (and stick to) a daily routine.
The idea is to have topics in rotation that will inspire content that is both fresh and varied, while also staying relevant to a particular theme.
As I started to create a bank of ideas for topics and themes… and in doing so, I realized that coming up with viable ideas can be tough.
After all, I want topics to be simultaneously: (1) interesting, fun, or thought-provoking to me, (2) interesting, fun, or thought-provoking to readers, (3) broad enough that I won’t run out of things to say right off the bat, and (4) focused enough that I’d have some framework to work with.
Kind of a tall order.
After a bit of time and a lot of thought, I generated a list of themes, which I have divided by day as well as by month. These are listed below.
Having a couple different themes to choose from on any given day day will be helpful, in case I don’t have anything new or interesting to say about one of the topics. I don’t anticipate hitting a writer’s block anytime soon (then again, who does), but doesn’t hurt to build in a fail-safe or two.
*The general plan is to publish one post each day*
Mondays: You’ll either see a post about a memory or a discussion.
- Memory Monday. I have a lot of memories knocking around in this head, and I’d love to share them with you. Stuff like: The time I climbed Mount Kilimanjaro. My little brother falling off the top of a building. Me killing a rabbit with my bike. My friend eating bowl full of fried ants. My sister and I getting terrorized by the hockey-puck-sized spiders at my grandmother’s farm. And more.
- Discussion Monday. This is where we as a community get to engage in what I hope will be lively discourse on a given topic. Here’s one: if you had the chance, would you delete someone from your life or memory? Share your thoughts and opinions! All perspectives are welcome.
Tuesdays: You’ll either see a post giving tips or a “tea chat” post.
- Tip Tuesday. I have tried a lot of different things in my life, and would like to share the tips and tricks that work for me. For example, here are some tips for how to be a successful 5 star SuperHost on airbnb! I also have tips on furnishing and decorating your house!. 🙂
- Tea Break Tuesday. This is where we take a moment to catch up on life. What’s new or going on with me currently.
Wednesdays: You’ll either see a post about a “what if” scenario, or a ramble.
- What if Wednesday. I love to think outside the box, and I’m super excited to exercise my creativity muscles. I’m already working on my first “What if Wednesday” post about time travel! ooOOoOOoo
- Wednesday Rambles. Ramble posts will be exactly what they sound like… rambling! Here’s an example, a post about friendships I’ve made in my life.
Thursdays: You’ll either see a post about my thoughts or a post of reasons.
- Thursday Thoughts. This one is self-explanatory – just posts about my thoughts! Here’s an example of what that looks like… a post about rain, written on a rainy day.
- Reason Thursday. I think it would be cool to write about reasons for making (or not making) decisions. For example, I have plans to write up my reasons for getting a PhD, as well as my major reasons for being a long distance runner. Stay tuned!
Fridays: You’ll see a post about my favorites or a review.
- Friday Faves. I’m very picky, but when I find something I love, I stick to it like glue. Here is one of my first posts on my favorites. It’s a pretty random collection of things that I genuinely love!
- Friday Review. I love to throw in my 2 cents on everything from technology to makeup products and everything else. I’m excited to write thoughtful and honest reviews every now and then. My first review is on the Saltaire restaurant in Port Chester, New York – we went there for our date night last week 🙂
Saturdays: You’ll see a post showing “what’s in my___” , or just a brief story.
- Saturday What’s in My. I like the idea of sharing various “what’s in my” posts. Such as what’s in my… bag, desk, fridge, pantry, pocket, recent calls list, notebook, playlist, netflix queue, wishlist, etc.
- Story Saturday. Another theme I’m interested to write on is “stories.” This is where I share a story or poem that I have written. Or excerpts thereof. Here is a poem I wrote, called The Knight’s Rose. I find creative writing to be an incredibly vulnerable process. This is probably why “Story Saturday” is the theme that I am most intimidated and excited by.
Sundays: You’ll see a post about my running, or a rundown of the week.
- Sunday Runday. This is a running-centric theme. I will recap my weekly miles in preparation for my upcoming half marathon, share thoughts on running, and maybe even tell you about marathons or other races I have completed.
- Sunday Rundown. Other Sunday posts you’ll see are rundown posts where I do a “catchup” of the week, and tell you anything exciting (or not) that happened during the week. 🙂
That’s the plan… one post per day!
As far as monthly…
You will see each of the following once a month:
- Reader spotlight. I highlight one of YOU and your accomplishments, your blog, your product, etc. The first installment is coming up in the first week of October. You can nominate anyone (even yourself) in a comment. I’m excited to showcase YOUR talent!
- Tag. Admittedly I am new to the tagging game. I don’t even know what tags are out there (clearly I have some research to do)… but please tag me in the ones you’re interested in!
Also, every now and then, I’ll do a giveaway 🙂
- I’m working on my first giveaway right now, so stay tuned!